Background

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Turkey & Pumpkin Pie ~Happy Thanksgiving!~

Struesel Topped Pumpkin Pie
Thyme & Rosemary
We had our Canadian Thanksgiving this past weekend, but due to shift work, my hubby was not able to celebrate it so we waited until he was on his days off. I cooked up my turkey the night before and sliced it all up and then made my turkey soup the next day by boiling down the remains. I have lots of plans to use up the turkey meat since I really don't like wasting food. I can make sandwiches, casseroles, pot pies, and a great soup out of it all. I'm always up for a new recipe so I'll be on the hunt for a good turkey one!

You can't have turkey without a homemade pumpkin pie for dessert. I found a recipe on the Life Made Delicious website for a pumpkin pie with a streusel topping. I wasn't overly impressed with the topping. Maybe if I had used cold butter instead of margarine it would have made a difference. The crunchy pecans on top were definitely yummy and a nice twist on a simple but spicy pumpkin pie. I used a Pillsbury pie crust for a guaranteed great crust.

https://www.lifemadedelicious.ca/en/Recipes/S/Streusel-Topped-Pumpkin-Pie.aspx

Ingredients:

1/2 pkg (425 g) Pillsbury* Refrigerated Pie Crusts (1 crust)
Filling:
1 can (14 oz/398 mL) canned pumpkin (1 3/4 cups/425 mL)
1 can (370mL) evaporated milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
2 tsp (10 mL) cinnamon
1 tsp (5 mL) ginger
1/2 tsp (2 mL) cloves
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
Topping:
1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped pecans
1/4 cup (50 mL) packed brown sugar
2 tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose flour
2 tbsp (25 mL) butter or margarine
Method:
  • Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 425°F (220°C). Prepare pie crust according to package directions for One- Crust Filled Pie in a 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate.
  • Combine all filling ingredients in mixer bowl. Beat at low speed until well blended. Pour into pie crust.
  • Bake at 425°F (220°C) for 15 minutes; reduce heat to 350°F (180°C) and bake for 15 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, combine pecans, brown sugar and flour for topping; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Spoon on top of pie.
  • Bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool to room temperature, or serve chilled, if desired.
  • Garnish with whipped cream, if desired.





No comments: