Background

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Corn Chowder with Sausage & Chocolate Coconut Mounds


I love a nice soup, chili, or chowder simmering on the stove. They're quick and easy to prepare and all ready when it's time to sit down and eat! Normally I use bacon in my corn chowder but today I picked up some apple sausages for something a little different. I used this http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Corn-Chowder/Detail.aspx recipe as a starter and from there did my own thing. I boiled the sausages for about 10 mins and then removed the 'skin' layer. I put it in the frying pan to brown up and cut them up into chunks while they cooked. I added the sausage to the chowder after the potatoes were done cooking and the simmering process began. This corn chowder was delicious and the added apple sausage gave it great flavor!

For dessert I whipped up some Chocolate Coconut Mounds (aka coconut macaroons). They were pretty easy and quick to do and it was also helpful that I was able to watch them being made on CBC's Best Recipes Ever cooking show (thank goodness for PVR!) You need to use a rimless baking sheet to make these but if you don't have one (like me) all you need to do is just turn over a regular baking sheet and you're good to go. These were a really yummy treat and can be frozen for up to a month! Perfect for when guests are stopping by over the holidays.